Wednesday 1 April 2015

A Weekend in London: Kua 'Aina Hawaiian Restaurant




Last weekend we traveled down to London to celebrate Beth's sister's birthday. It worked out pretty well as we'd been asked to house-sit for one of El's family friends in Walthamstow that weekend too. After a couple of delayed trains, we headed straight over to Oxford Street for a wee bit of shopping. We ended up circulating Topshop for well over an hour trying to find a top for El to wear before deciding that, actually, she would wear one she brought with her. Sigh. We did however make a few cheeky lil purchases, before deciding we were famished and in need of some tasty eating.

We strolled down Carnaby Street, deliberated over Five Guys for a while, but eventually decided to give Kua 'Aina, a Hawaiian burger and sandwich joint, a try. The place is tiny, although there is more seating downstairs which we didn't venture into. The walls are covered in retro art prints, with an entire wall covered in a retro Aloha! advertisement and the waiters all wore Hawaiian floral shirts. It had a very laid back vibe, but was completely packed. Luckily we got there just before the dinner time rush, so only had to wait for around 15 minutes, but by the time we were seated the queue was out into the street. The seating spaces are very cramped together, which is a bit of a problem if you've just been spending money you don't have on Oxford Street and are now hauling around multiple bags. 



E // As Beth said, although the seating was pretty cramped, it was still a pretty cool little place to eat. It was nice to try something a bit different too! I'm not usually a burger person, but I enjoyed my avocado and cheese burger. I didn't think the actual meat tasted of very much, but the toppings and sides added a lot of flavour. I washed it all down with a couple of Hawaiian beers from Kona Brewing Co. which were super tasty! Also I did not enjoy that big slice of flabby tomato. In my opinion tomato has no place in a burger. It just makes it all watery and the bread bun gets soggy. Boo you tomato.


B // I ordered one of the Lava Grilled Hamburgers too, with cheese. I'm a fan of onion, but there is an awful lot in these burgers, which didn't really seem all that grilled and kind of over powered everything. I ordered the 1/3lb burger, which would have been a good lunch or light dinner option, but it definitely didn't fill me up after an afternoon of travelling and walking. I recommend going for the 1/2lb burger, it really isn't that big. I accompanied my burger with a couple glasses of rose wine, hehe.

Always happy with a beer in hand


E // p.s. Beth left on Monday for her adventure in Nepal! It's all very exciting and I'm sure she will write up a full post about it with lots of pictures when she's back. So for that reason our blog posts might be a bit scrawnier than usual, or a bit more infrequent over the next few weeks as I'm left in charge of it. I'm definitely not as good at this whole blogging thing as Beth....


No comments:

Post a Comment